2018 Summer Chess Camps
- Description: This is a beginner to intermediate level chess camp. Depending on students' strengths, weaknesses, and levels, the following topics might be covered:
Opening: Principles, Why Knights Before Bishops, Why is castling important? When is it ok not to castle? Gambits: To take or not to take? How to handle opening surprises;
Middlegame Tactics: Pins, Forks, Skewers, Discoveries, X-Ray attacks & More....Strategy: Good Bishop vs Bad Bishop, When and what pieces to trade? Rook On the 7th rank, The Open File, Outposts, Pawn Structures;
Endgame: King and pawn endings -- Opposition, rule of the square, outside passed pawn, protected passed pawn. Rook endgames: Lucena position, Phillidor's Defense, Activity Activity Activity!, Rooks behind passed pawns, Drawing down a pawn. Queen endgames: Perpetual Checks, Draw vs certain pawns on 7th rank, Winning strategies. Bishop endgames: Opposite color bishop draws, same color bishop strategies.
Besides general lectures, students will take time learning concepts and practicing it vs their peers. Comments and reviews are given by the instructor to ensure students understand the concepts and strategies thoroughly.
- About the instructor: Mr. Jeffrey De Jesus has competed in over 450 United States Chess Federation (USCF) tournaments since he began playing chess as a teenager. His current rating is 2426 and has earned a National Master title.
State, and National Championships and been ranked at the top of their age group nationally.
- Date and Time: This camp is offered from 9am - 12pm during the following summer weeks:
Week11: 8/13 - 8/17
- Camp Fees, Discounts and Refund Policies
• $200 per child
• A sibling discount of $10 will be applied to each child from the same family if more than one child attending the same week.
• A multi-week discount of $10 will be applied to the same child if attending both weeks of the Chess Camps.
• The above two discounts can be combined.
Full refund: if you withdraw your student one week before the camp.
Half refund: if you withdraw your student within a week before the camp.
No refund: Once camp is started.